Saturday, March 2, 2013

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival


Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Taking a break from all of my fantasy, demon hunter, vampire, immortals books...I read this book a long time ago, but it's still one of those books that will forever change you and the way you look at things. This book is one of few that has utterly moved me.

This book follows Louis Zamperini, an Olympian runner. He was such a good runner and was the fastest, that he earned the nickname Torrence Tornado.
It lets you dive deep into this country's past..The depression era..Then it takes you to the War. Louis was a bombardier on a Bomber plane..Several flights, kills.....The plane crashes and you follow them on a 47 day float at sea. They fought hallucinations, SHARKS...then they land on an island. A Japanese island.  There he is tortured for information, starved, beaten....The type of treatment none of us can even imagine.
Louis was declared lost at sea. When he is finally returned home you follow him on his downward, drunken spiral. PTSD. He finally settles down and is now a motivational speaker.

This man is def. a hero. He survived some of the most wretched treatments and it was an honor to get to read about his life.  For those of you that don't think biographies are your thing....This story is captivating. I never thought that I would be intrigued by something that I have often considered boring. This book inspired me, brought me to tears..had me questioning man-kind. There's a reason it was on the New York Times Best Seller's List........READ IT!


http://www.louiezamperini.com/




Happy Reading!
-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment